morialta4me

FS: Novels and Great Read Alouds List 1

7 posts in this topic

Friends who have finished homeschooling are looking for happy homes for the books listed.

Books sent via Aust. post or Officeworks Mailman.

Happy to combine.....

Please direct all correspondence to me, (Samuel) as my mum is dealing with her dad, my grandfather, who is dying...mum isn't available at this present time, thank you for your understanding

Thanks in advance,

Blessings

Samuel

Roar : A Christian Family Guide To The Chronicles of Narnia by Heather Kopp with David Kopp (illustrated) Large Volume over 440 pgs! pb ec $15

All-Of-A-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor pb gc $4…

Tom’s Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce pb ec $5… Lying awake at night, Tom hears the old grandfather clock downstairs strike . . . eleven . . . twelve . . . thirteen . . . Thirteen! When Tom gets up to investigate, he discovers a magical garden. A garden that everyone told him doesn't exist. A garden that only he can enter . . .A Carnegie-Medal-winning modern classic that's magically timeless. This is an extremely good book about going back in time and I would recommend it to all who want,  Intelligent writing, Innovative plot and  Immensely imaginative story.  It would appeal to nearly all ages as I first read it when I was eight and still love itit today!!

Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson pb gc $4… Sent in 1910 to live with distant relatives who own a rubber plantation along the Amazon River, English orphan Maia is excited. She believes she is in for brightly coloured  macaws, enormous butterflies, and "curtains of sweetly scented orchids trailing from the trees." Her British classmates warn her of man-eating alligators and wild, murderous Indians. Unfortunately, no one cautions Maia about her nasty, xenophobic cousins, who douse the house in bug spray and forbid her from venturing beyond their coiffed compound. Maia, however, is resourceful enough to find herself smack in the middle of more excitement than she ever imagined, from a mysterious "Indian" with an inheritance, to an itinerant actor dreading his impending adolescence, to a remarkable journey down the Amazon in search of the legendary giant sloth. A book that is almost lyrically beautiful….’Journey to the River Sea’ is choc-a-bloc with exotic plants and animals and ably supported by well-etched characters. Eva Ibbotson had apparently written this book in honour of her late husband who was a naturalist. And she makes a fitting tribute. It isn’t an exaggeration to say that you can effortlessly picture the rainforest in all its wild, damp greenery as it unfolds with each chapter. Mum read this book aloud to us all, as she read felt that each day we travelled there can’t explain it, but it is exactly what my mum would call a living book…I ventured to go read more from this author and was not disappointed! My sister was 10 and we were 18 when it was read to us…A  keeper!

The Heroes of Asgard:Tales from Scandinavian Mythology by A & E Keary  beautiful full colour plates painted  by C.E.Brock hb ec $10… A rich mythology and at times begging a second read - always rewarding, tells all about Norse mythology and how Asgard was built a real page turner….This is a title recommended by Charlotte Mason to great to read aloud ….All ages from 9+

Portraits :Dancing Through Fire by Kathryn Lansky hb ec $10…  this exciting new series explores the stories behind some of the world's most dazzling paintings. Welcome to 19th-century Paris and the world of Degas's dancers. 13-year-old Sylvie is one of the pupils at the Paris Opera Ballet, where tutus must always be starched and pointe shoes fresh. Sylvie dreams of being a prima ballerina, but her height is a problem—she is too little. When the Franco-Prussian war begins in 1870, Paris is soon under siege and Sylvie is thrown into turmoil and tragedy. Against the fiery backdrop of war, the beauty of the ballet sustains and strengthens Sylvie. Before long, her talent and drive allows her to achieve her goal—and she graces the stage as a star. All in all, this is an excellent book, truly a gem among historical fiction for young readers.

Trailblazers: Rescuer By Night – Amy Carmichael by Kay Walsh pb gc( a little water stained) $3PENDING 

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey pb gc $4…

Beneath The Southern Cross : A Story of Eureka by Helen Palmer hb wdj gc $7… 

Away Goes Sally by Elizabeth Coatsworth pb ec $6… Sally belongs to a household full of aunts and uncles, all headed by her Uncle Joseph and ruled over by his sister Nannie. But now these two are at loggerheads, caused by Cousin Ephraim's letter, urging them to resettle in his Maine vicinity. Fortunately Uncle Joseph has a clever plan. It will launch them on a winter saga, employing a mode of travel only a New England Yankee could have invented. Sally-and the reader-will enjoy the surprises of this journey, taken in company with her lively and lovable relations. A story full of early American detail, set in the era shortly before the War of 1812. Published in 1934 and authored by Elizabeth Coatsworth (1893-1986) -- Away Goes Sally is the first book in a children's historical fiction series featuring Sally who moves to Maine with her relatives and a small house/sleigh being pulled by oxen over the snow during late winter/early spring.  Ages 8 and up. 

The Inca Trail by Vivien Whitfield pb gc $4… here is a photo of this book : https://www.abebooks.com/Inca-Trail-Whitfield-Vivien-Scripture-Union/8172781841/bd Meet Roberto, a shepherd boy from a village high up in the Andes, Lisbet from a shanty town on the coast, Luis who lives among the Inca ruins, and other children in this collection of stories about Peru.

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg pb ec $5… When suburban Claudia Kincaid decides to run away, she knows she doesn't just want to run from somewhere she wants to run to somewhere--to a place that is comfortable, beautiful, and preferably elegant. She chooses the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Knowing that her younger brother, Jamie, has money and thus can help her with the serious cash flow problem she invites him along. 
Once settled into the museum, Claudia and Jamie, find themselves caught up in the mystery of an angel statue that the museum purchased at an auction for a bargain price of $250. The statue is possibly an early work of the Renaissance master Michelangelo, and therefore worth millions. Is it? Or isn't it? Claudia is determined to find out. This quest leads Claudia to Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler, the remarkable old woman who sold the statue and to some equally remarkable discoveries about herself. Really loved this story my sister has read her copy a dozen times and just loves it!.. It was such a wonderful thing to read aloud together. These are the times we will remember, I hope. I certainly want to hold these moments tightly in my heart.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis pb ec $5… Mere Christianity is C.S. Lewis's forceful and accessible doctrine of Christian belief. First heard as informal radio broadcasts and then published as three separate books - The Case for Christianity, Christian Behaviour, and Beyond Personality - Mere Christianity brings together what Lewis saw as the fundamental truths of the religion. Rejecting the boundaries that divide Christianity's many denominations, C.S. Lewis finds a common ground on which all those who have Christian faith can stand together, proving that "at the centre of each there is something, or a Someone, who against all divergences of belief, all differences of temperament, all memories of mutual persecution, speaks the same voice." Mere Christianity is such a classic work, and having been read by millions over the past sixty years plus years, it is difficult to say anything new about it. As the years have rolled on though, a different society, with different needs and expectations has arisen that sees the world a little different than the British society, in the midst of all the moral and spiritual challenges that happened in the World War II years.  Lewis' is more of a classic apologetic.

Southern Rainbow by Phyllis Piddington hb ec $12… The Popple family leave England to migrate to South Australia in the nineteenth century and find that settlers' life is full of problems, surprises and adventures. Novel set in Adelaide 1837-40. I remember mum created a unit study using this book. It was fun, informative and an eye opener!! Ages 8++

Time of Wonder by Robert McCloskey pb ec $7…. "Out on the islands that poke their rocky shores above the waters of Penobscot Bay, you can watch the time of the world go by, from minute to minute, hour to hour, from day to day..." So begins McCloskey's classic story of one summer on a Maine island. The spell of rain, the gulls and a foggy morning, the excitement of sailing, the quiet of the night, the sudden terror of a hurricane, and, in the end, the peace of the island as the family packs up to leave are shown in poetic language and vibrant, evocative pictures. Absolutely beautiful! This sparkling story transports you to Penobscot Bay, Maine where you experience the joys and wonders of the changing seasons, from the gentle unfurling of the ferns as spring draws to a close to the fun of swimming in the height of summer to the awesome power of a hurricane as autumn draws neigh. You will love that the story feels timeless in one sense, with all the connections to nature, night and day, the changing tides, the passing seasons. Yet it's also a wonderful glimpse into the era in which it was written, capturing the 1950s in the clothing, the cars, little nuances here and there (and perhaps, most notably, a time when families were able to take long holidays  together, spending an entire school break at a holiday house). Even though the illustrations are excellent, and won the Caldecott Medal, it was the story itself that will captivate you the  most.

Hello Samuel, Can I have the Trailblazers Amy Carmichael book please? Jean.

Thank you Mrs  Muldoon,

I have put this title aside for you. I am in the process of typing up another list if you would like to peruse it before I send this one to you. Only if you wish.

Jessica's Prayer has been sent (Priority as asked).

Thank you,

God Bless

Samuel

This one please:

Southern Rainbow by Phyllis Piddington

Samuel, I have also sent you a PM.Thanks!

Hi, could I please get Daughter of Time and Beneath the Southern Cross? Postage is to 3037.

Thanks!

Hi Samuel, sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Could I please have Time Of Wonder.

thanks