• Announcements

• HomeGrownKids

AussieHomeschool Closing Down   11/14/2019

All good things must come to an end and AussieHomeschool is no different. It is with much sadness yet even more necessity that this must be so.   As of Sunday evening, 17/11/2019 the Discussion Forums will close. The Classifieds, for now although not indeterminate, will continue as is.       Why is this happening now? In all honesty, it probably should have happened many years ago but I created this forum, which originally a homeschool classifieds forum for Aussies, about 20 years or so ago. I, along with others for whom I am gratefully indebted to, have spent many, many hours sweating, laughing, praying, crying, writing, apologising, pleading and speaking about this wonderful place. In this day and age of Social Media, along with our ages and therefore differernt stages of life, it is simply not viable in any way for it to continue. You may think differently and that's okay - you honestly have to have lived through some of the dramas and learning opportunities that we all have to truly appreciate why we have the standards that we do - they were borne out of necessity and not undertaken lightly. Much blood, sweat and tears have been spilt over this place. Even more friendships, learning, debate, love, prayer and great times have been had becuase of AussieHomeschool. No one could ever be more thankful for it than I.

I understand you may feel frustration or even anger and for that I apologise, I feel you. But now it is YOUR time to go out and spread the word of home education and its benefits. Share YOUR story, tell those you know and don't know about homeschooling and what is has done for your family.   On behalf of John (my long suffering and patient husband), myself and the ENTIRE moderating team over the many years - I THANK YOU and WISH YOU ALL THE VERY BEST IN ALL YOUR ENDEAVOURS.   God Bless, Susan (HomeGrownKids /  AussieHomeschool)
morialta4me

PLEASE DELETE

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

Here a few more titles for you to peruse,

Thank you for looking,

and your patience....and your continued support!!!

God Bless an enjoy!

Teresa

Going West by Jean Van Leeuwen pb gc $4…

Una and the Sea-Cloak by Malachy Doyle hb wdj *as new* $7…A beautiful Irish folktale of a strange girl who comes from the sea. Her sea-cloak, which allows her to fly, walk, and swim, is damaged. Martin and his mother help her to fix the cloak and then go visit her family under the sea.

Beautiful illustrations by Alison Jay— her style is just wonderful…my older sister loved anything illustrated by Alison Jay!! Ages 6++

Sky Boy by Geoffrey Lehmann hb *as new* $8…People say that Teresa is stubborn and maybe even mad. Rowing her boat through the storm with a baby and a cow, she can only be saved by a miracle. But where do miracles come from?

A wonderful story about a sister's courage and love. Ages 5-10…… https://www.qbd.com.au/sky-boy/geoffrey-lehmann-caroline-magerl/9780733616068/ 

The Banshee Train by Odds Bodkin hb wdj *as new* $8…Odds Bodkin's story, based on folklore that Irish railroad workers brought to America, and Ted Rose's shimmering watercolours evoke the suspense and mystery of this otherworldly chase through the high Rocky Mountains. On a foggy night, spring floods swell the Colorado River. John Mercer, engineer of Train Number 1, and Mr. O'Reilly, his fireman, worry about crossing Gore Canyon where, twenty years before, the trestle washed out and an unlucky engineer drove his train over the edge. Is Gore Canyon Trestle still there? And can they-should they-try to outrun the Banshee? 

The book includes facts in it about Irish immigrants and steam engines and bridges that collapsed and about the Irish Fairy Woman, The Banshee.  Ages 7+

Activities:  https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/books/banshee-train-the-by-odds-bodkin/

The Seven Ravens A Classic Tale by the Brothers Grimm adapted by Laura Geringer  hb wdj ec $7…The Brothers Grimm collected and published a lot of stories. Some of them became iconic and almost every educated adult knows these stories from childhood. The "Seven Ravens" is not one of the iconic stories. The story is a little weird and lessons are not clear. But what makes this version so worthwhile are the mid-century modern illustrations by the Swiss artist, Felix Hoffmann, a talented artist and the Grimm Brothers stories he published in the 1960's are highly collectable. Ages 5-12

Bats Butterflies and Bugs A Book of Action Toys by S. Adams Sullivan hb wdj ec $7…Black-and-white line drawings clearly illustrate well-organised instructions for toys, mobiles, costumes, and other crafts. Each can be made with easily found or inexpensive materials, but the complexity varies for each idea presented.  Some for younger children while other projects are for older..An attempt has been made to include information about things that crawl and fly with instructions for children to then make their own creatures. Rainy-day or hot days - activities are always useful.  Ages Ages 5-10

Family Farm by Thomas Locker hb wdj ec $6

Where Are You Going Emma? By Jeanne Titherington hb gc $4….Emma climbs over the stone wall in the meadow, on the first stage of a journey of discovery and adventure. "This quiet celebration of the beauty of nature and the appreciation of solitude combines with the reassuring presence of a loved one, resulting in a satisfying experience to share with young children.This is a sweet story about a little girl who goes exploring while her grandfather picks apples in an orchard. The detail of the illustrations is phenomenal. Ms. Titherington is able to really capture the body postures of small children from the way they squat to how their fingers look. Her landscapes make the reader think that they could step into to the picture and go for a walk. Can't recommend this book or Ms. Titherington's other books enough. Ages 2-5

The Day of the Diprotodon by Olaf Ruhen hb wdj gc $8….A charming story about the last age of the dinosaurs, with an Australian focus. Beautiful illustrations depicting the landscape and ancient animals of Lake Callabonna, 

'place of many waters', in South Australia, first in 1893 and later in 1953. 

The Llama’s Secret A Peruvian Legend adapted by Argentina Palacios pb gc $7…The Llama's Secret: A Peruvian Legend (1993), written and adapted by Argentina Palacios and illustrated by Charles Reasoner, tells a story similar to that of Noah and the Ark. This time, though, the llama is the one who warns everyone of the coming flood. Instead of building an ark, the Peruvian family and animals climb to the highest mountain, Huillcacoto, to escape the flood waters. Great additional story of how the fox's tale got it's black tip, too. 

Great book to introduce/accompany lesson on Peru. Ages 7-10

Activities here: https://teachinglatinamericathroughliterature.wordpress.com/2017/10/30/mira-look-the-llamas-secret-a-peruvian-legend/ 

Buddy- Based on the True Story of Gertrude Lintz by William Joyce hb wdj *as new* $8….Real-life animal-lover Gertie Lintz and Buddy, the gorilla she adopted in the 1930s, have one cosmopolitan adventure after another. Her chimps played croquet. Her dachshund wore eyeglasses. Her gorilla has his own refrigerator. Welcome to the world of Gertie Lintz, a woman who loved animals--and knew just how to pamper them. But when she adopts Buddy, an orphaned baby gorilla, her life is turned upside down. Based on the fascinating true-life story of a remarkable woman, "Buddy" is the heroic tale of the power of love. Ages 8-12

My First book of Kings and Queens Designed by Patrick Kevin hb gc $10…the people you will read about in this book were kings and queens who ruled over England and Scotland many years ago. Some of their names you will already know. These stores of their lives will help you to learn more about them all and their place in history. Two-tone and full colour illustrations included  are great for notebooks and projects….(Alfred the Great 872- Queen Victoria 1901) Ages 8-12

Billi-Billi’s Walkabout by Maureen C. Meadows hb wdj  gc (Vintage Book 1945  OOP)  $18…Children's story of a young boy who goes in search of a ' healing herb' to help his sick sister, Yettie…On his travels he meets a Swagman whose wisdom and gentle ways bring about the finding of the herb, that will heal Billi-Billi’s sister.

A map of Billi-Billi’s travels is included as the end pages…An Australian classics.

All ages great as a read aloud…

Two Victorian Families by Sue Wagstaf pb gc $5…

Joan of Arc of Domre’my by Michael Morpurgo illustrated by Michael Foreman hb wdj  *as new* $20… While sitting on a riverbank in the ancient French city of Orleans, seventeen-year-old Eloise hears a voice that relates the struggles of the medieval heroine, Joan of Arc, as she fights to free France……When Eloise moves to the town where, centuries ago, Joan of Arc fought her greatest battle, her life takes a shocking turn. Like Joan before her, she hears a voice—one that tells her the story of Joan of Arc as no one has heard it before. . . . Slip back in time with Eloise, and meet Joan, a seemingly ordinary French girl who hears the voices of saints and is called upon by God to save her country from the English. She faces this challenge with fierce determination, astounding courage, and unflagging faith. Her victories—and the price she paid for them—have never been forgotten. Ages 9-15

My First Atlas of Australia Barbara Whiter hb gc $6…. My First Atlas of Australia is a fun, entertaining and informative reference book for young children - ideal for school projects, independent research and reading at home. Covering Australia, this book is packed with up-to-date information on geography as well as fun facts and figures about population, climate, agriculture, politics and demographics. 

Red Ribbons and Mr Anders by Elizabeth Wilton hb wdj *as new* $7…A small town in Denmark is the setting for this story: a town famous for the Storks which come each spring to their rooftop nests. This year, however the storks have not returned - and the townsfolk link their non-appearance with the fact that there is an extremely large number of stray cats in the town. The Mayor decides to make a decision, which the children of the village do not agree, they devise an ingenious counter-plot to thwart the Mayor’s plan…..an easy and delightful read. Two-tone colour illustrations, ages 8-12.

How Math Works 100 Ways Parents and Kids Can Share The Wonders of Mathematics by Carol Vorderman pb *as new* $12...

Erik and the Squirrel by Hans Patterson hb wdj ec $10……Eric is a lonely and unhappy little boy until one day he is given a baby squirrel to look after. They have such fun together, but Jimjim soon grows up and like all wild animals prefers to be free. The beautiful coloured illustrations on every page add much to the delight and enjoyment of this book….Ages 7-10 

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-au/books/hans-peterson/erik-and-the-squirrel/GOR009591295?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuZDtBRDvARIsAPXFx3BuejHm2f9GkMvEwZZnZMg4TUkjs7NyIDD2FpzbeqfBL00X4c7rEjYaAmxOEALw_wcB

more for the pile...

going west

family farm

two victorian families

how maths works

thankyou,

Nell