• Announcements

• HomeGrownKids

AussieHomeschool Closing Down   11/14/2019

All good things must come to an end and AussieHomeschool is no different. It is with much sadness yet even more necessity that this must be so.   As of Sunday evening, 17/11/2019 the Discussion Forums will close. The Classifieds, for now although not indeterminate, will continue as is.       Why is this happening now? In all honesty, it probably should have happened many years ago but I created this forum, which originally a homeschool classifieds forum for Aussies, about 20 years or so ago. I, along with others for whom I am gratefully indebted to, have spent many, many hours sweating, laughing, praying, crying, writing, apologising, pleading and speaking about this wonderful place. In this day and age of Social Media, along with our ages and therefore differernt stages of life, it is simply not viable in any way for it to continue. You may think differently and that's okay - you honestly have to have lived through some of the dramas and learning opportunities that we all have to truly appreciate why we have the standards that we do - they were borne out of necessity and not undertaken lightly. Much blood, sweat and tears have been spilt over this place. Even more friendships, learning, debate, love, prayer and great times have been had becuase of AussieHomeschool. No one could ever be more thankful for it than I.

I understand you may feel frustration or even anger and for that I apologise, I feel you. But now it is YOUR time to go out and spread the word of home education and its benefits. Share YOUR story, tell those you know and don't know about homeschooling and what is has done for your family.   On behalf of John (my long suffering and patient husband), myself and the ENTIRE moderating team over the many years - I THANK YOU and WISH YOU ALL THE VERY BEST IN ALL YOUR ENDEAVOURS.   God Bless, Susan (HomeGrownKids /  AussieHomeschool)
morialta4me

PLEASE DELETE

1 post in this topic

Hello everyone,

Listed are books I am selling for a friend to help with a family NEED.

prices do not include postage,

Enjoy, and thank you for looking! (MORE TO COME)

God Bless

Teresa

Jim Grey of Moonbah by Reginald Ottley hb wdj ec  OOP $6….

Fifteen-year-old Jim is managing with his mother but very much missing his dead father when Russ Medway, a drifter of many trades, turns up and helps out for a few days. He's likeable but. . . you might see through him faster than Jim……an exciting read and one that helps young people to think before making decisions. Ages 10-14

https://badgerbooks.com.au/book/25517-jim-grey-of-moonbah

Bernadette Our Lady’s Little Servant by Hertha Pauli (Vision Book) pb *NEW*$9…. This is the story of the girl to whom the Blessed Virgin appeared as "a little young lady" and revealed herself as the Immaculate Conception. Bernadette Soubirous lived with her family in the abandoned jail of the little French village of Lourdes, never dreaming that the very name of Lourdes would one day bring inspiration and hope to millions. Bernadette studied her Catechism, took care of her brothers and sisters, and gathered firewood - and no one knew she was a Saint. But one day, as she was gathering wood, Our lady appeared. Within a few weeks, thousands were kneeling in the field to pray to the Lady who could be seen and heard only by Bernadette. This was the beginning of one of the greatest Marian Shrines of modern times and of the miracles with which Our Lady blessed her children, a really well written book. It is such a lovely story and will deepen your devotion to the Immaculate Conception….Ages 8-80

The Story of Sculpture by Egnes Allen hb wdj ec OOP $8…Even though it is written for children, this book gives great overview of how books, as we know them today, came to be. It is easy to read and completed with illustrations.

The Spartan by Caroline Dale Sneaker pb *NEW* OOP $20….

"The Spartan" is the story of Aristodemos, the only survivor of the Battle of Thermopylae. Beginning with his childhood in Athens, you will follow him to Sparta, where he endures rigorous training, and then to Thermopylae, the place where the historic battle was fought. With Caroline Dale Snedeker's incredible historical accuracy, this story of charity, hope, despair and final resolution at the battle of Plataea will excite and touch the reader. This book is very good in its descriptive of the time period which this historical event took place. The famous last stand at Thermopylae is perhaps one of the most storied events in human history. This book takes you to the "Hot Gates" and puts you in the ranks, shoulder-to-shoulder with the Spartan battle contingent. Very well written!  Ages 16-adult…

https://journey-and-destination.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-spartan-by-caroline-dale-snedeker.html

https://www.bookdepository.com/The-Spartan-Caroline-Dale-Snedeker/9780966706789?ref=grid-view

My First book of Kings and Queens Designed by Patrick Kevin hb gc $5…the people you will read about in this book were kings and queens who ruled over England and Scotland many years ago. Some of their names you will already know. These stores of their lives will help you to learn more about them all and their place in history. Two-tone and full colour illustrations included  are great for notebooks and projects….(Alfred the Great 872- Queen Victoria 1901) Ages 8-12

Billi-Billi’s Walkabout by Maureen C. Meadows hb wdj  gc (Vintage Book 1945  OOP)  $15…Children's story of a young boy who goes in search of a ' healing herb' to help his sick sister, Yettie…On his travels he meets a Swagman whose wisdom and gentle ways bring about the finding of the herb, that will heal Billi-Billi’s sister.

A map of Billi-Billi’s travels is included as the end pages…An Australian classics.

All ages great as a read aloud…

Joan of Arc of Domre’my by Michael Morpurgo illustrated by Michael Foreman hb wdj  *as new* $15… While sitting on a riverbank in the ancient French city of Orleans, seventeen-year-old Eloise hears a voice that relates the struggles of the medieval heroine, Joan of Arc, as she fights to free France……When Eloise moves to the town where, centuries ago, Joan of Arc fought her greatest battle, her life takes a shocking turn. Like Joan before her, she hears a voice—one that tells her the story of Joan of Arc as no one has heard it before. . . . Slip back in time with Eloise, and meet Joan, a seemingly ordinary French girl who hears the voices of saints and is called upon by God to save her country from the English. She faces this challenge with fierce determination, astounding courage, and unflagging faith. Her victories—and the price she paid for them—have never been forgotten. Ages 9-15

Erik and the Squirrel by Hans Patterson hb wdj ec $6……Eric is a lonely and unhappy little boy until one day he is given a baby squirrel to look after. They have such fun together, but Jimjim soon grows up and like all wild animals prefers to be free. The beautiful coloured illustrations on every page add much to the delight and enjoyment of this book….Ages 7-10 

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-au/books/hans-peterson/erik-and-the-squirrel/GOR009591295?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuZDtBRDvARIsAPXFx3BuejHm2f9GkMvEwZZnZMg4TUkjs7NyIDD2FpzbeqfBL00X4c7rEjYaAmxOEALw_wcB

My Antonia by Willa Cather pb *AS NEW* $6…My Ántonia evokes the Nebraska prairie life of Willa Cather's childhood, and commemorates the spirit and courage of immigrant pioneers in America. One of Cather's earliest novels, written in 1918, it is the story of Ántonia Shimerda, who arrives on the Nebraska frontier as part of a family of Bohemian emigrants. Her story is told through the eyes of Jim Burden, a neighbour who will befriend Ántonia, teach her English, and follow the remarkable story of her life.

Working in the fields of waving grass and tall corn that dot the Great Plains, Ántonia forges the durable spirit that will carry her through the challenges she faces when she moves to the city. But only when she returns to the prairie does she recover her strength and regain a sense of purpose in life. In the quiet, probing depth of Willa Cather's art, Ántonia's story becomes a mobbing elegy to those whose persistence and strength helped build the American frontier.It is a compelling story of immigrants growing up in Nebraska during early and tough circumstances. Recommended  to everyone, from 10 years up.

Mary Poppins Opens the Door by P.L. Travers hb ec $7 ….From the moment Mary Poppins arrives at Number Seventeen Cherry-Tree Lane, everyday life at the Banks house is forever changed. This classic series tells the story of the world's most beloved nanny, who brings enchantment and excitement with her everywhere she goes. 

Mary Poppins reappears just in time! According to her tape measure, Jane and Michael have grown "Worse and Worse" since she went away. But the children won't have time to be naughty with all that Mary has planned for them. A visit to Mr. Twigley’s music box-filled attic, an encounter with the Marble Boy, and a ride on Miss Calico’s enchanted candy canes are all part of an average day out with everyone's favourite nanny.

Recommend these to all adults who have access to their inner child, and to families who can discuss the wonder, the joy, and the small issues. 3rd book in the series…. We grew up reading the books (not the movie), though its ok, I love the book much more!!!)

My Story An Edwardian Girl’s Diary 1909-1913 Suffragette by Carol Drinkwater  pb ec $6…This is a fictional book, but based on the realities of the English Suffragette movement of the early 20th Century. Presented in diary format, it does a fantastic job of weaving a huge amount of factual and anecdotal information into an engaging and dramatic text.This book has obvious cross-curricular links to History, but could also be used in a citizenship.

I would highly recommend ‘My Story’ to any children with and interest in history, or if you are a teenager/adult and you want to know some basic things that happened in a certain period. I have my own collection which I have enjoyed reading (and continue to read) so would say great for ages 11+++

The Hammerhead Light by Colin Thiele hb wdj ec $7….To Tessa and all the people of Snapper Bay, the Hammerhead Light is more than just a lighthouse ? it is a symbol of all that is enduring and safe. Tessa has grown up within sight and sound of the light and she has formed a strong bond with old Axel, the lighthouse keeper. Both their lives are changed by their fight to save the lighthouse and by their love of a strange migratory bird, the whimbrel…. and Tessa begins to learn the meaning of change.…..Ages 10+

Bambi  A Life in the Woods by Felix Salten with an intro by John Galsworthy hb wdj ec $10…Bambi: A life in the Woods is a true classic of children’s literature, with passages of great joy and also of deep regret and sorrow; exhilarating, but also occasionally savage, and heavy with exquisite prose descriptions of the woods and countryside. The writer was evidently a keen naturalist, with an eye for details of flora and fauna throughout the seasons, and also skilled at his craft. It's a definite must-read for children, but probably not alone until they are at least 11. This is a magical story, and one which teaches many lessons, to do with friendship, kindness and courage. No matter how difficult life may become, the author insists, we must never give up. We must never take what appears to be an easy way out. We may be able to rely on our friends, to help us overcome those difficulties, and must stay true to what we know is good. If we keep trying, in the end everything will resolve. Just like Bambi, the fawn who became a strong and proud stag, we will also stay true to our nature, and emerge stronger. I personally read Bambi at 12. This is not Disney. This book was incredible.

Brian Jacques The Pearls of Lutra  #9 pb gc $5… The Tears of All Oceans are missing. Six magnificent rose-coloured pearls, which inspire passion and greed in all who see them, have been stolen and passed from hand to hand, leaving a cryptic trail of death and deception in their wake. And now Ublaz Mad Eyes, the evil emperor of a tropical isle, is determined to let no one stand in the way of his desperate attempt to claim the pearls as his own. At Redwall Abbey, a young hedgehog maid, Tansy, is equally determined to find the pearls first, with the help of her friends. And she must succeed, for the life of one she holds dear is in great danger. . . . Ages 10+

The Quilter’s Legacy by Jennifer Chiverini pb gc $6…..When precious heirloom quilts hand-stitched by her mother turn up missing from the attic of Elm Creek Manor, Sylvia Bergstrom Compson resolves to find them. From scant resources—journal entries, receipts, and her own fading memories—she pieces together clues, then queries quilting friends from around the world. When dozens of leads arrive via the Internet, Sylvia and her fiancé embark on a nationwide investigation of antique shops and quilt museums.

Sylvia’s quest leads her to unexpected places, where offers of assistance are not always what they seem. As the search continues, revelations surface about her mother, who died when Sylvia was only a child. As Sylvia recovers some of the missing quilts and accepts others as lost forever, she reflects on the woman her mother was, and mourns the woman she never knew. For every woman who has yearned to know the untold story of her mother’s life, and for every mother who has longed to be heard, The Quilter’s Legacy resonates with heartfelt honesty as it reveals what tenuous connections bind the generations, and celebrates the love that sustains them. If you haven't yet been involved with the Elm Creek Quilters, do yourself a favour and buy all of them so you can start at the beginning with Quilter's Apprentice. My mum has read these or reading through them, and she says they are lovely, friendships, forgiveness, with, and courage are just the virtues the characters portray….If you like Jan Karon, you will like Jennifer Chiverini.