• Announcements

• HomeGrownKids

AussieHomeschool Closing Down   11/14/2019

All good things must come to an end and AussieHomeschool is no different. It is with much sadness yet even more necessity that this must be so.   As of Sunday evening, 17/11/2019 the Discussion Forums will close. The Classifieds, for now although not indeterminate, will continue as is.       Why is this happening now? In all honesty, it probably should have happened many years ago but I created this forum, which originally a homeschool classifieds forum for Aussies, about 20 years or so ago. I, along with others for whom I am gratefully indebted to, have spent many, many hours sweating, laughing, praying, crying, writing, apologising, pleading and speaking about this wonderful place. In this day and age of Social Media, along with our ages and therefore differernt stages of life, it is simply not viable in any way for it to continue. You may think differently and that's okay - you honestly have to have lived through some of the dramas and learning opportunities that we all have to truly appreciate why we have the standards that we do - they were borne out of necessity and not undertaken lightly. Much blood, sweat and tears have been spilt over this place. Even more friendships, learning, debate, love, prayer and great times have been had becuase of AussieHomeschool. No one could ever be more thankful for it than I.

I understand you may feel frustration or even anger and for that I apologise, I feel you. But now it is YOUR time to go out and spread the word of home education and its benefits. Share YOUR story, tell those you know and don't know about homeschooling and what is has done for your family.   On behalf of John (my long suffering and patient husband), myself and the ENTIRE moderating team over the many years - I THANK YOU and WISH YOU ALL THE VERY BEST IN ALL YOUR ENDEAVOURS.   God Bless, Susan (HomeGrownKids /  AussieHomeschool)
morialta4me

PLEASE DELETE

1 post in this topic

Hello again,

Hope you enjoy the list!

God bless

teresa

Letters to Channy A Trip Around the World by Heluiz Chandler Washburne hb gc $5....Channy's father, the Supt. of Winnekta Public Schools set forth with his wife and older daughters on a nine month trip to investigate educational methods. Channy, aged 7, stayed in the US . These are the unedited letters between mother and son. Very interesting views of the times.

The Christmas Dolls by Carol Beach York pb gc $3....This is such a heartwarming story taking place at a girl's orphanage at Christmastime. Two dolls are nearly rejected as Christmas gifts for the girls-one a rag doll, and another that's damaged--until a little girl named Tatty discovers them and decides to help. It's very sweet, sharing themes of kindness, joy, and hope. Perfect for Christmas or anytime. 

This is a chapter book, but it works great as a read aloud for younger readers 

Li Chung a Tale of China by M.B. Cooper pb gc $2....

The Young Visiters by Daisy Ashford hb wdj gc $4....This book was written by a 9-year-old so of course it's not the most brilliantly-written thing in the world––but Daisy Ashford's prose and attention to detail is certainly impressive considering her age. It's kind of unclear whether the story was meant to be satirical or whether Ashford intended readers to take it seriously, but either way it's cute and funny... A gorgeous, funny, charming, tiny book witten in 1890.

Tales from a Hut by A.H. Matthews hb gc $2....

English Fairy Tales illustrated by Edward Ardizzone pb gc $5....Includes twelve such well-known favourites as 'Jack the Giant Killer', 'The Three Bears' and 'The History of Tom Thumb'. At the time of his death in November 1979 Edward Ardizzone was at work on illustrations for a selection of twenty-five of the English Folk Tales collected and edited by the folklorist Joseph Jacobs. He had illustrated eleven of the stories presented in this book. The illustration for the twelfth story,'The Children in the Wood', first appeared in an edition of this poem published by The Bodley Head in 1972, as did the watercolour reproduced on the jacket.

Cinderella ilustrated by Arthur Rackham told by C. S. Evans hb gc $5.......

The Lion Treasury of Children's Prayers compiled by Susan Cuthbert illustrated by Alison Jay hb wdj ec $7.......A wonderfully rich collection of traditional prayers, tender rhymes, lilting poetry, Bible passages, quiet reflections, and glowing, evocative illustrations to accompany the many moods and seasons of childhood. 

The Fortunes of Poppy Treloar by Pixie Harris hb wdj ec $6....This is an enjoyable children's book, set in Australia, with plenty of unexpected and fun situations. 
The story begins with Poppy, an adventurous girl who loves nothing better than to play with her brother David and the Gems, a nearby family of children. 
Then everything gets turned upside down when David has an accident and Poppy learns something shocking about herself. Coupled with guilt about David's accident Poppy runs away from the only home she ever knew, believing that she doesn't belong. 
This is the story of how she survives by herself, the people she meets and the friends she makes and how eventually she gets back home. 
you will find the book to be reminiscent of books like seven little Australians and its sequel. Readers of those books and any like it will enjoy reading about Poppy's adventures. 

Looking Inside The Wonder of Nature by David Sharp hb gc $5.....Informative cut-away drawings are a feature, Specially designed to provide an in-depth review of some of the outstanding man-made and natural wonders in our marvelous world. Highly illustrated in full color. (Key Words: Natural History, David Sharp, Nature, Shellfish, Man, Embryology, Mammals, Bees, Volcanoes, Estuaries, Flesh-Eating Plants). 

Garden Bird Facts How to Attract Birds and Identify Them by Mike Everett pb $3....

The Rajah of Bong and Other Owls by John Goldsmith hb gc $2...An account of the owls resident at Grahame Dangerfield's Wildlife Breeding Centre.

Armoured Animals by Herbrt S. Zim hb wdj gc $4....Describes some armored animals, such as the one-celled protozoa with a hard covering, the armadillo, and shellfish, and compares the effectiveness of this armor to other forms of animal protection.

Life in the Rainforest by John & Sue Erbacher hb  $3....Life in the Rainforest describes the complex and delicately balanced life in Australia's tropical rainforests. The full color photographs were taken in the Queensland rainforests that hold one of the most spectacular regions of tropical rainforest in the world. The working of a rainforest is fully explored before issues of introduced species and rainforest destruction are presented.

Tiger The story of a Swallowtail Butterfly by Robert M. McClung  pb gc $4....Tiger Swallowtail's bright yellow wings with black stripes make him one of the showiest of the butterflies. He is also one of the biggest and handomest. Mr. McClung's clear, simple text and beautiful pictures, half of them in three colors, tell the story of his first year—from tiny egg to full-grown butterfly. First of all Tiger emerges from the egg as a caterpillar. Then, as he grows, he sheds his skin a number of times, each new skin showing a different pattern. He can defend himself at this stage by shooting out the horns on the front of his head. Next he becomes a chrysalid, and after a long winter the chrysalid splits open and a bedraggled-looking creature appears. In a few hours he turns into a perfect tiger swallowtail butterfly.

Flitting across the pages of this delightful picture book, Tiger and his fellow butterflies bring to it the very feel of summer.