• Announcements

• HomeGrownKids

AussieHomeschool Closing Down   11/14/2019

All good things must come to an end and AussieHomeschool is no different. It is with much sadness yet even more necessity that this must be so.   As of Sunday evening, 17/11/2019 the Discussion Forums will close. The Classifieds, for now although not indeterminate, will continue as is.       Why is this happening now? In all honesty, it probably should have happened many years ago but I created this forum, which originally a homeschool classifieds forum for Aussies, about 20 years or so ago. I, along with others for whom I am gratefully indebted to, have spent many, many hours sweating, laughing, praying, crying, writing, apologising, pleading and speaking about this wonderful place. In this day and age of Social Media, along with our ages and therefore differernt stages of life, it is simply not viable in any way for it to continue. You may think differently and that's okay - you honestly have to have lived through some of the dramas and learning opportunities that we all have to truly appreciate why we have the standards that we do - they were borne out of necessity and not undertaken lightly. Much blood, sweat and tears have been spilt over this place. Even more friendships, learning, debate, love, prayer and great times have been had becuase of AussieHomeschool. No one could ever be more thankful for it than I.

I understand you may feel frustration or even anger and for that I apologise, I feel you. But now it is YOUR time to go out and spread the word of home education and its benefits. Share YOUR story, tell those you know and don't know about homeschooling and what is has done for your family.   On behalf of John (my long suffering and patient husband), myself and the ENTIRE moderating team over the many years - I THANK YOU and WISH YOU ALL THE VERY BEST IN ALL YOUR ENDEAVOURS.   God Bless, Susan (HomeGrownKids /  AussieHomeschool)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AussieHomeschool

AH Blog: Weekly Wrap-Up

1 post in this topic

Weekly Wrap-UpAussieHomeschool

We’ve had a busy few weeks both at our home and on the facebook page so there are lots of goodies here for you today. Enjoy!

pencil-writing.jpg

Photo by D Sharon Pruitt

Homeschooling with Babies and Toddlers, by Michelle from the DownUnder Literature Blog.

When Grandparents Don’t Understand – Veteran homeschooler, Barbara Frank shares her thoughts on this topic.

How Pinterest Can Ruin Your Homeschool – Pinterest is great fun, but beware. It can ruin your homeschool. I don’t mean that you may spend too much time repinning instead of planning and teaching lessons although that could happen. I mean something else, something that is probably more likely.

Kids perform better in school if they know failure, and trying again, is part of the learning process, according to a new study published by the American Psychological Association.

Mum Heart Conference June 16-17th at the Sunshine Coast
mum-heart-300x79.jpg

Editing Tools for Young Writers
Through the use of fun tools, children can acquire helpful editing skills—and in doing so, grow to see editing as a natural part of the writing process. Self-editing becomes a task they can accomplish with both pleasure and success! Also see the post, 5 Publishing Ideas for Non-Craft Kids and 10 Writing Truths for Teens.

Creative Writing Prompts
Use the creative writing prompts and creative writing ideas to create stories, poems and other creative pieces from your imagination.

Need Help with Homophones? See All About Learning Press.
#1 Tip for teaching homophones, a list of homophones, and the homophone machine where you can type in any sentence or paragraph and click the convert button.

Scripture Prayer Calendar
Each day you pray for your child’s Salvation, their Growth in Grace, Love, Honesty/ Integrity, Self-Control and many more qualities.

Warfare by Duct Tape!
Mark and Steven are two 17 & 15-year-old homeschooled brothers who love world history and have very creative ideas. From an early age, they have enjoyed various types of imaginative play, including the design and building of outstanding Lego cities and set-ups. Their favorite pastime is heading outdoors and battling with their own custom-made duct tape weapons. After experimenting with wooden swords, they realized the advantages of PVC pipe and foam weapons, which are safer and more fun to use. The two brothers decided that this great idea needed to be shared with the world… and Warfare by Duct Tape was born! Check the bottom of the page for a freebie!

“Our children don’t have to seize every opportunity to take lessons and play every sport by the time they are ten years old in order to be well rounded”

~ Lisa Whelchel

Helpful Hints For Teaching Multiple Grade Levels
How do you accomplish the educating of 6 different grade levels, from Kindergarden to now college level?

The Periodic Table of Videos
Tables charting the chemical elements have been around since the 19th century – but this modern version has a short video about each one.

Human Anatomy Model – Your Guide to Human Anatomy Online
Learn about human physiology as you study anatomical charts and models of every system in the human body!

Ancient & Medieval History Free Audio & Video
Free audio and video resources for History

iPads for Education (Victoria)
This website is for educators who want to learn about using iPads in education. Here you will find
information about the Victorian school iPads for Learning trial including specially selected apps,
classroom ideas and technical tips.

Homeschool Schedules
Be consistent. Know your children. Know your family. Know your goals. Then see where the daily rhythms of your life take you, whether it be on a schedule, routine, or just a vague pattern that gets you where you want to go.

“The more you read, the more things you will know.”

~Dr. Seuss

4 The Family
4 The Family is a website designed to help parents through each stage of the parenting journey. You will find materials grouped according to the main stages of parenting. Some of them overlap and you’ll be able to see a complete list of everything that’s available in the Online Store.

Restless? Go Climb a Tree – Medicating Children for Being Children
by Wendy Priesnitz
Instead of examining why some children dislike the confines of school life so much, many parents are encouraged to label their children with a mental illness. Complains one parent in a survey aimed at medicating kids who are very active, “Everything revolves around getting my child to cooperate and getting done what needs to be done.”

75 Books That Build Character
Books are a wonderful tool to reinforce tough to grasp lessons and to open the door for discussions that we aren’t always sure how to approach with our kids. All these books teach lessons, have messages or open the floor for discussions without being preachy .

“Children don’t stumble onto good books by themselves; they must be introduced to the wonder of words put together in such a way that they spin out pure joy and magic.”

~Gladys Hunt

Real World Maths
Math Apprentice … connects math to real world careers by allowing students to be apprentices at various companies, applying their math skills to real world challenges.

Teach Agriculture with the Primezone Website.
Studies have shown that many students did not know that bread, cheese and bananas all came from farms and a quarter thought yoghurt was a plant product. Primezone provides teachers with single-point access to a range of primary industries education resources. This website is an initiative of the Primary Industries Education Foundation, a national not-for-profit company with government, industry and education membership. These primary industries education resources are about agriculture, forestry and fisheries industries. They include related topics such as exporting and sustainable farming.

Homeschool in Freedom: Throwing Out the Rules
Many homeschoolers, especially new homeschoolers, live under a self-imposed set of “rules” based on their perceptions of what homeschooling should be. These unspoken “rules” are often based on our experiences with public schools. These “rules” often hurt us and our kids. They need to be discarded and replaced by the rule of true freedom. (Shared by Chareen)

A 13-Year-Old’s Slavery Analogy Raises Some Uncomfortable Truths in School
In a bold comparative analysis of The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, Jada Williams, a 13-year old eighth grader at School #3 in Rochester, New York, asserted that in her experience, today’s education system is a modern-day version of slavery. (Shared by Sara via Facebook)

Teach your teenager to outline and annotate in texts. If he is not allowed to write in the book, have him keep notes, organised by text, in a separate notebook. Teach them to be organised for their study.

AussieHomeschoolAussieHomeschool - Classifieds & Community

di
di

PQVL?d=yIl2AUoC8zA PQVL?d=qj6IDK7rITs PQVL?i=uZS3U3QILVY:7T_P9zdVoy4:D7DqB2pKExk
uZS3U3QILVY

View the full article