• Announcements

• HomeGrownKids

AussieHomeschool Closing Down   11/14/2019

All good things must come to an end and AussieHomeschool is no different. It is with much sadness yet even more necessity that this must be so.   As of Sunday evening, 17/11/2019 the Discussion Forums will close. The Classifieds, for now although not indeterminate, will continue as is.       Why is this happening now? In all honesty, it probably should have happened many years ago but I created this forum, which originally a homeschool classifieds forum for Aussies, about 20 years or so ago. I, along with others for whom I am gratefully indebted to, have spent many, many hours sweating, laughing, praying, crying, writing, apologising, pleading and speaking about this wonderful place. In this day and age of Social Media, along with our ages and therefore differernt stages of life, it is simply not viable in any way for it to continue. You may think differently and that's okay - you honestly have to have lived through some of the dramas and learning opportunities that we all have to truly appreciate why we have the standards that we do - they were borne out of necessity and not undertaken lightly. Much blood, sweat and tears have been spilt over this place. Even more friendships, learning, debate, love, prayer and great times have been had becuase of AussieHomeschool. No one could ever be more thankful for it than I.

I understand you may feel frustration or even anger and for that I apologise, I feel you. But now it is YOUR time to go out and spread the word of home education and its benefits. Share YOUR story, tell those you know and don't know about homeschooling and what is has done for your family.   On behalf of John (my long suffering and patient husband), myself and the ENTIRE moderating team over the many years - I THANK YOU and WISH YOU ALL THE VERY BEST IN ALL YOUR ENDEAVOURS.   God Bless, Susan (HomeGrownKids /  AussieHomeschool)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AussieHomeschool

AH Blog: It’s Not a Friday Freebie: ZooWhiz

12 posts in this topic

It’s Not a Friday Freebie: ZooWhizAussieHomeschool

ZooWhiz-Logo-large-web-300x196.png

I know it’s not Friday but this freebie wouldn’t wait! Have you heard about ZooWhiz?

ZooWhiz is a flexible, curriculum-linked, online learning system which is free. There is a premium version but register for the free account first and you can always upgrade later on.

Who is it for?
Homeschoolers or school students! Designed for kids aged 5 to 15 with plenty of scope to assist those finding work hard and opportunity to extend even the most able student

But is it Australian?
Based in Australia but produced using curricula from around the world. ZooWhiz allows you to select educational content appropriate to local spelling conventions and units of measure including Australian/British or American spellings, Imperial or Metric units of measure or currencies in $, £ or €.

What is covered?
The educational content is drawn from a bank of over 17,000 carefully-crafted, finely-incremented learning activities. Three subjects covered are, Maths, Word Skills and Reading which also includes punctuation, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, word skills, phonics, phonemics and reading.

What’s in the free account?

• Over 17,000 high quality educational activities for children aged 5 to 15+
  • Access the full range of the ZooWhiz educational content
  • Use the My Activites mode to choose ZooWhiz educational content by subject, ages level and step
  • Spend coins earnt at home or school on a range of zoo animals
  • Spend coins earnt at home or school, playing a range of the Arcade games
  • Access time outside school hours is limited
  • Up to 15 questions a day but not exceeding a total of 40 activities a week
  • View basic reports of your child’s progress

How much is it to upgrade to a premium account?
Normally $59.95 for an annual subscription but EdAlive are offering an introductory price of $29.95 for a limited time. That’s 50% off!

What’s in this for AussieHomeschool?
Nothing! We just wanted to let you know.

Where is the link?
Just in case you haven’t seen the link yet… you can visit ZooWhiz on the web here.

If you use ZooWhiz, drop us a line and let us know your thoughts so that we, as homeschoolers, can continue to serve one another.

Related posts:

1. Freebie Friday: News & Current Events
  2. Friday Freebie:The Great Dinosaur Mystery Solved
  3. Friday Freebie – SchoolhouseTeachers.com

AussieHomeschoolAussieHomeschool - Classifieds & Community

di
di

PQVL?d=yIl2AUoC8zA PQVL?d=qj6IDK7rITs PQVL?i=ovkqH0YZP5Y:mAGzZNxcGDs:D7DqB2pKExk
ovkqH0YZP5Y

View the full article

Going to check it out, thanks Susan.

We've been using Study Ladder (just the free account this year but planning to get the paid one next year) but some of my kids are running out of ability-appropriate activities in some subject areas. This looks like a good supplement/alternative to that. Will let you know once I've had a good look around!

Had a little look... it's still in "beta" mode so not all options are available yet. The price of $29.95 is PER STUDENT which makes it more expensive than Study Ladder if you have 3 or more children. Will let the kids have play this afternoon and see what they think.

Thanks Liz... much appreciated. It looks good especially for the introductory price!

I LOVE MathsOnline with the way it is sequential and reviews and has built in reporting and grading. What would be the absolute bees knees is the same type of program for the subject of English! Any takers to build that program? LOL

I love the idea of online learning...

BUT...

...would something like this chew into our data allowance?

We're only on 8 GB a month (can only access wireless here as we as classed as remote...thanks Julia for the NBN...still waiting, sigh)

Well it will obviously use up data, it would depend on how much time the kids spent on websites and how big they were. At first glance, Zoowhiz seems fairly "heavy" on data usage but we havent played with it much yet.

How much of your 8GB a month do you currently use?

How much of your 8GB a month do you currently use?

8GB :D

And that often gets used up in the first 3 weeks.

I might test it for a day, see our available allowance at the start, then at the end of the day.

OK, my 4yo DD has just had a turn on ZooWhiz.

The amount of ads involved in a free account is horrendous - sometimes three pop ups in a row and you have to wait on each one for the "continue" button to load.

I think the site would be very data intensive. studyladder.com.au has free accounts and may suit you better "Mum".

I think ZooWhiz is good on the "eye candy" aspect, and it seemed to have some appropriate level activities for my pre-reader, but I can't currently invisage us spending the money on it. Just my 2c ;-)

Thanks so much Liz for checking that out for me.

I wonder if the 'paid' accounts still have the ads?

I don't think so.

Sorry, the ads are just for the paid membership. They aren't ads for other products. It's still really annoying though (IMO).

LOL after all my whinging I've bought a subscription for my kids...

I bought it now because I don't think I could justify paying full price for it. The kids enjoy it and it's more "interactive" than Study Ladder. There are more activities my 4.5yo can do and that was the thing that sold it for me in the end. It's nice to do it without ads also ;-). Looking forward to all the premium features coming online :-)

If I were in a different place Liz, I would snap it up for the price too - just to use as an an extra and to get in quick before they increase the price ;)

One thing that isn't mentioned in the ad (although i knew before I decided to pay for it) is that the price is per CHILD not per family.