• Announcements

• HomeGrownKids

AussieHomeschool Closing Down   11/14/2019

All good things must come to an end and AussieHomeschool is no different. It is with much sadness yet even more necessity that this must be so.   As of Sunday evening, 17/11/2019 the Discussion Forums will close. The Classifieds, for now although not indeterminate, will continue as is.       Why is this happening now? In all honesty, it probably should have happened many years ago but I created this forum, which originally a homeschool classifieds forum for Aussies, about 20 years or so ago. I, along with others for whom I am gratefully indebted to, have spent many, many hours sweating, laughing, praying, crying, writing, apologising, pleading and speaking about this wonderful place. In this day and age of Social Media, along with our ages and therefore differernt stages of life, it is simply not viable in any way for it to continue. You may think differently and that's okay - you honestly have to have lived through some of the dramas and learning opportunities that we all have to truly appreciate why we have the standards that we do - they were borne out of necessity and not undertaken lightly. Much blood, sweat and tears have been spilt over this place. Even more friendships, learning, debate, love, prayer and great times have been had becuase of AussieHomeschool. No one could ever be more thankful for it than I.

I understand you may feel frustration or even anger and for that I apologise, I feel you. But now it is YOUR time to go out and spread the word of home education and its benefits. Share YOUR story, tell those you know and don't know about homeschooling and what is has done for your family.   On behalf of John (my long suffering and patient husband), myself and the ENTIRE moderating team over the many years - I THANK YOU and WISH YOU ALL THE VERY BEST IN ALL YOUR ENDEAVOURS.   God Bless, Susan (HomeGrownKids /  AussieHomeschool)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HomeGrownKids

AH Blog:Homeschooling for Free

4 posts in this topic

There are so many sites with free homeschool curriculum that one blog post could not possibly list them all. However, I am going to point out a few of the more popular free curriculum sites that offer whole curriculum. You may not need to use a whole curriculum but may prefer to utilise a subject or two. Either way, take a few moments to check out the following options for homeschooling for free which are listed in alphabetical order.  

school by sisterlisa, on Pix-O-Sphere

Free Homeschool Curriculum

Ambleside Online – This is a free Charlotte Mason-style curriculum, with a complete schedule for grades K through 12. Also contains the complete text of Charlotte Mason’s original homeschooling series, along with a library of free online books and a complimentary support group. You'll find here a directory of free homeschool curricula, literature and text books ... This curriculum is built largely, but not completely, on public domain texts.

An Old Fashioned Education – A free homeschool curriculum that utilises a combination of public domain textbooks and living books. Contains a complete 40-week schedule for Bible, math, science, social studies, language arts, literature and history for grades K through 12.

Baltimore Curriculum Project - BCP's Core Knowledge lessons are organised by grade level, month, and discipline. Be aware that it is not Australian based. You can download and print the lesson plans but note that all lessons are in draft form. At this time the draft lessons on this web site do not have accompanying graphics, such as maps or cut-out patterns.

Bitesize - is a British website offering free interactive lessons in math and reading. I didn't find it the easiest site to navigate but there are some very useful lessons. Be aware that it is UK based so grade levels are completely different.

Core Knowledge - This free homeschool resource is not a curriculum in a box. However it is a useful resource, especially the Free Teacher Guides, Downloads & Forms. Core Knowledge offers suggested content to be taught and presented at various grade levels.

Easy Peasy All in One – currently offers 1st, 4th and 6th grade curriculum for Reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, math, history/social studies, science, geography, Bible, art, music, PE/health, computers and logic using free resources on the Internet. Se our related post about EasyPeasy.

Free-Ed - is a site that I didn't find easy to navigate but that might just be me. It is probably more suited toward upper years/high school years of homeschooling.

Head of the Class - provides access to free curriculum based content for K-8 students and teachers.  It is organised by grade-level, you will find instruction, activities, and multimedia on reading, math, spelling, writing, art, history, music, geography, science, and more.

Lesson Pathways - is a free K-5 curriculum and teaching resources contains 36 full-week lessons for science, math, history, phonics and reading. There is a homeschool and an afterschool schedule. This schedule aims to provide a multi sensory experience by using a variety of materials, activities, videos and games. This program might be suitable as enrichment or reinforcement material.

Mater Amabilis - is a free homeschooling curriculum for Catholics. It is based on the Charlotte Mason method. Contains math, reading, writing, English, literature, history, geography, science, foreign language and music studies for grades K through 12.

NeoK12 - offers online videos, lessons and games to help homeschool students learn about a wide variety of topics. Lessons can be found for English, math, science, social studies, geography, history, music lessons, sports lessons and arts and crafts. I debated about including this NeoK12 on this list as it isn't really a complete curriculum but it might suit some for a subject.  This site would be useful to use as revision and reinforcement or enrichment along with your main curriculum.

Open Education Source – Is a free service to homeschooling parents which provides comprehensive curriculum links for every subject from K to 12. Each link provides a full, comprehensive body of work for the subject for a year, not unit studies. You will find the best sites for teaching each subject on the subject pages, and a selection of grade appropriate resources on the grade pages.

The Puritan's Homeschool Curriculum - is a home school curriculum consistent with the historic reformed Biblical faith as it is excellently summarized in the original Westminster Standards. Documents are in pdf format.

Caution - It's free but is it valuable?

Here are some questions to ask to determine if free homeschool curriculum is of any value to you.

• Is it age/development appropriate for your child?
  • Is it laid out clearly?
  • Will your child be able to follow the schedule? Is the amount of teacher/mum preparation involved suited to your needs?
  • Is the subject a part of the plan for your child? If not, is it os special interest? What is your justification for including it in your homeschool schedule?
  • Are the objectives of the material clear? Will it be able to meet those objectives for your child?
  • Is any information presented accurate and unbiased?
  • Is it complete? If there are questions, are there answers?
  • Do you have any other materials, supplies, tools, or instruments that are required for the curriculum?

Homeschooling is largely heart to heart. The methods and even the curriculum do not matter nearly as much as the relationship between child and parent.
~Dr. Ruth Beechick

You could also add MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Program) which a few members here are using. It's a UK based Maths program which looks pretty good.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

Just discovered that the link for MEP is in An Old Fashioned Education. :), and various other places too!